New Zealand Snow Safety Institute
Mountain Skills Course - One
Mountain Skills I
Mountain skills 1. Has been designed to be an introduction to the
Alpine environment for trampers and hikers.
The aim is to give people the skills and confidence to venture into
the alpine world while tramping or hiking. You will be taught skills
to travel on moderate snow and alpine terrain without the need for
- Equipment Selection and its use
- Self Arrest and axe work
- Walking with Crampons
- Map skills and navigation
- Avalanche rescue
- Weather awareness
- Route selection
- Snow shelters and alpine survival
Equipment you are required to bring:
- Back pack (35-45L)* with Pack liner
- Ice Axe*
- Transceiver, Shovel & Probe *
- 4 Season Solid Leather Tramping Boots (or Plastic Climbing Boots)
- Gloves for snow work & a spare pair of gloves
- Polypro gloves
- Climbing Helmet *
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Layers: Thermal clothing
- Spare change of clothes for the lodge including trainers/slippers
- Sleeping bag for sleeping in the lodge
- Sun glasses
- Sun hat & Beanie
- Torch & Spare Batteries
- Personal Medication & First Aid kit & toiletries inc. Sunscreen.
- Note book & Pencil
- Camera (optional)
*Most technical equipment can be hired from the NZSSI with prior notice.
*If you are borrowing or buying crampons ensure that they fit your boots before the course.
Participants should be over 18 years, of reasonable fitness with some preferable previous tramping experience.
If you have any pre existing conditions of which the instructor / guide should be aware of in an emergency it is your personal responsibility to inform the instructor / guide. This information will be confidential.