New Zealand Snow Safety Institute
Mountain Skills Course - Two
Mountain Skills II
Mountain Skills 2, builds on the Mtn Skills 1 course.
By introducing the use a rope and two tools to safely ascend and descend
mountains of grade 2 or below. And focus on reviewing the Axe and crampon
fundamentals and introduce more advanced techniques. As well as Abseil
descents, snow belays, basic rock craft & greater information into route selection
and avalanche awareness.
- Equipment Selection and its use
- Advanced Axe and crampon skills
- Map skills and navigation
- Avalanche awareness
- Weather awareness
- Route selection
- Abseiling using natural protection
- Simple belaying and lowers
- Snow climbing on steep terrain
- Assisted Hoist
- Basic rock, ice and snow anchors
Equipment you are required to bring:
- Back pack with Pack liner (35-45L)
- Ice Axe & Hammer*
- Snow stake*
- Rock Climbing Harness with the following*:
4x S/G Carabiners,
5 Snap links,
Belay device (Not Fig8 style),
3 prussic cords (1m/2m/3m),
1x5m Sling (Un-tied).
- Transceiver, Shovel & Probe*
- Mountaineering Boots
- Compass (Map K33 optional)
- Gloves for snow work & a spare pair of gloves
- Polypro gloves
- Helmet (Climbing specific only)
- Waterproof breathable jacket and pants
- Layers: Thermal clothing that can be varied depending on conditions
- Sun hat & Beanie
- Sun glasses
- Spare change of clothes for the lodge including trainers/slippers
- Sleeping bag for sleeping in the lodge
- Torch & Spare Batteries
- Personal Medication & First Aid kit
- Toiletries inc. Sunscreen!
- Note book & Pencil
- Camera (optional)
*Most technical equipment can be hired from the NZSSI with prior notice
*If you are borrowing or buying crampons ensure that they fit your boots before the course
*Ropes are provided for this course
For more detailed information on equipment please refer to the detailed equipment notes which will be supplied to you upon your course enrolment.
The participants must be familiar with the use of crampons and be able to self arrest.
And/or have completed the Mountain Skills 1 course.
Participants should be over 18 years, of reasonable fitness with previous snow climbing experience.
If you have any pre existing conditions of which the instructor / guide should be aware of in an emergency it is your personal responsibility to inform the instructor / guide. This information will be confidential.