NEW ZEALAND CLIMBING
Tekapo Trek Equipment List
We can provide at no extra charge any items in list A (below) that you are missing.
Your pack together with your own gear should not weigh more than about 6 kg. Plus you will be adding some fresh food (bread, meat, cheese, vegetables) to this weight, to end up with 8 kg to carry on the first day.
A: Equipment which can be provided if you do not have your own:
- Backpack minimum 45 litre capacity
- Hiking boots, well broken in and waterproofed, sturdy with good ankle support. Please note that currently the smallest boot we have is size 4.5 UK (the insole of this boot measures 240mm) and the largest pair of boots we have is a size 46 European. So if you have feet smaller / larger than this and do not have suitable boots of your own, you should let us know and should contact R & R Sport, 45 Lichfield St. Christchurch City, www.rrsport.co.nz to arrange to hire them and check they have your size.)
- Snow gaiters
- 2 pairs woollen socks
- Polyprop long johns (thermal leggings)
- Waterproof overtrousers
- Polyprop singlet, long sleeved
- Fleece jacket
- Waterproof parka (with hood)
- Gloves (polyprop gloves are good, but you need warmer gloves or mittens as well)
- Wool hat or balaclava
- Sun hat
- Headlamp or torch with spare battery
- Plastic bags
- Pack liner (heavy duty plastic bag)
- Ski/hiking poles
B: Equipment you must bring yourself / we do not provide:
Shirt (long-sleeved, light-coloured, to avoid sunburn and keep cool)
quick-drying (nylon) trekking pants or shorts
Sun glasses - with a high enough UV rating for snow.
Sun and lipscreen
Sun scarf (optional) - for protecting ears & back of neck.
Personal first aid. Please provide your own blister kit. We recommend Compeed Blister Plasters (from Johnson & Johnson Skin Care) - available at chemists in Christchurch / Queenstown.
Toilet gear (minimal); including a small hand towel
Ear plugs (to provide immunity in case of any snorers!)
Drink bottle (minimum 1 litre)
Sleeping bags, mattresses and pillows are at the hut. We provide you with a cotton sleeping bag liner and pillow case. If you have your own sleeping bag liner, please bring it (silk is lighter than cotton). You do NOT need to bring down jacket (hut is warm enough) nor hut shoes (provided). Please note that all food is provided.
Your pack with your own gear should not weigh more than about 6 kg. You will be adding some fresh food (bread, meat, cheese, veges) to this weight, to end up with about 8kg to carry on the first day.
The Tekapo Trek is a route only, NOT
an established or marked track. Rex Simpson Hut is not available
to unguided parties.